Written by Jim Bates
Sunday, 03 July 2011 23:09
Dear FCA friends and supporters,
Attached is my report on the work accomplished during the 82nd Texas legislative session by Funeral Consumers Alliance.
Here is the essence of what was done:
- Tissue donation for research and education is now regulated.
- Prepaid funeral contracted funeral homes are now covered by the Texas Guaranty Fund if that funeral home ceases operation.
- The dollar limit for prepaid contracts has been lifted, but tied to the funeral contract.
- A timeline/deadline has been set down to bring families to closure making funeral arrangements, with a priority list of whom is responsible.
- Lawn crypt sales are now highly regulated to ensure that consumers' pre-payments are not squandered before construction is complete.
- Insurance claim filing fees imposed by a funeral director must now be disclosed to the consumer.
- The funeral director in charge can be distanced (or not) from an errant employee if a complaint is filed.
More detail is available in the report below.
! Thank you so much for encouraging words, tactical support, patience whilst telling war stories, cell phone calls on the highway to keep me awake, places to sleep, and meals to eat !
Funeral Consumers Alliance of Texas